Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spring has sprung


I grew up with sayings that came from grandparents.

Spring has sprung, the grass has riz. I wonder where the flower is.

April showers bring May flowers.

It's raining like pouring ____ out of a boot.

The year 2013 seems like the poster child for cloud. It's rained so many days that the ground doesn't seem to dry out. Ever. Sun was out for an hour and a half yesterday. And a whole day of sun is such a rarity I can't quite remember when it happened. Anyway. I'm tired of clouds. I thought I was tired of Winter. And I was. But part of the problem of Winter is dark days.

As a young married, many years ago, I loved in Southwest Florida. The Tampa Tribune had at one time published a promise to make the papers free on a day that there was no sun. They hadn't ever had to follow through on that promise. Even the eye of a hurricane offers sun at some time. And it was hot. Hot. And muggy. And buggy. And Hot. So I complained, as is my wont, about the weather. Alas I'm at it again. When the sun was out for the hour and a half, I did some errands just to get outside in it. I need it.

I'm going through some health issues that I'll see the doctor about tomorrow. But one of those issues is depression and I'm adversely affected by lack of sun. I am lethargic and cranky. Or bitchy. And lazy. Or angry. And inactive. But it all boils down to the things I can do something about and those I can't change. I did find that turning more lights on in the house helps. But just a little.

Enough bitching. I had a terrific thing happen to me Sunday. Brian and I went to his mom's house for Easter dinner and she gave me her first Kindle. Her daughter had given her a Kindle Fire for Christmas and she gave me the Kindle Keyboard. It has many books on it and I'm really enjoying it. I'm currently reading a book by Jefferson Bass. He was the founder of the Body Farm at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. I live in Knoxville and grew up in Oak Ridge. The book is about a mystery and includes much of the history of Oak Ridge during the time of WWII. The Atomic Bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were originated there and put together elsewhere. That's in all the history books. It was a sad time. A really sad time.

The book also includes a few glimpses of how it would have been to live in Oak Ridge in those days. What the workers there did for relaxation and how secrecy was enforced, and how the town was built were interesting to me. It all resonates with me. I hated growing up there even though I came after the town was sold by the government. Some of the historical practices were still in affect. I remember the noon Wednesday sirens which tested in case of a bomber attack. And a billboard seen as the driver was leaving Oak Ridge reminded the need for secrecy. Loose lips sink ships type of stuff. And no one still knew what their fathers or mothers did if they worked at one of the nuclear plants. Social hierarchy didn't exist. Or if it did, I missed it. It was a very confusing town to grow up in in the 50's and 60's. Most of the people I knew were the children of parents from somewhere else. Not from Tennessee and not from the South. This book is giving me a greater appreciation of the reasons behind this. The book is Bones of Betrayal. I'm grateful to have it.

It's still raining. The dogs are just as put out about it as I am. I'm not in a hurry to get out today. I need to go to the grocery store but I think the trip will be cut short. Oh well.

Rain, rain. Go away. Come again some other day. (like July)

2 comments:

Birdie said...

When I was growing up my grandfather quoted a similar poem but it went,

Da spring is sprung.
da grass is riz,
I wonder where dem boides iz?

Ofelia said...

Congratulations on the Kindle and as a South Floridian I must tell that is still freaking hot and muggy but it was raining for the last tow days.